Engineer student electrocuted while repairing power in Darfur hospital: Sudan war

A 27-year-old student of electrical engineering perished while attempting to restore electricity to a hospital in Darfur, Sudan, that had been affected by fighting.

Thursday, Muhammedin Fadul Idris Wadi, also known as Ala Danedn, was electrocuted at the Sayed al-Shahada Health Centre in Fasher city. In the midst of violent confrontations and looting, he was part of a group of volunteers attempting to keep the clinic open. Even during the time of war, he was known for his smile, his friend said.

Ahmed Ishaq, who attended Fasher University with him, told sources that he gave his life to serving the residents of Fasher. He stated that Ala Danedn was admired for his tireless efforts and altruistic community service.

Since the conflict between rival military factions in Sudan erupted on 15 April, his group of volunteers, the Youth of the al-Thawra Initiative, has concentrated on assisting medical personnel in Fasher, the state capital of North Darfur. Except for South Hospital, all medical facilities in Fasher were forced to close due to their proximity to the fighting or the inability of personnel to reach them.

Mr. Ishaq remarked, "I observed him exerting maximum effort to clean and receive the wounded in South Hospital during the first week."

His kind words kept us psychologically buoyant during difficult times, and he worked like an insect. The volunteers then shifted their focus to the Sayed al-Shahada Health Centre, which had been vandalized, plundered, and abandoned by its staff.

Given its proximity to vulnerable neighborhoods in the south of the city, including Abu Shanbat and Zam Zam camps, which are home to communities who fled their villages during the ethnic violence that ravaged Darfur 20 years ago, they felt it was essential to attempt to reopen it. His organization raised funds to renovate the facility and purchase food, medication, and other medical supplies.

Mr. Ishaq stated that Ala Danedn was adept at networking with pharmacies and medical supply companies in his efforts to reopen the health center. The clinic reopened on Monday with the assistance of 25 volunteer physicians and 80 community volunteers, but was still experiencing difficulties.

Ala Danedn was addressing an electrical issue at the health center on Thursday evening, a time when many locations were either without power or had an intermittent supply. According to his companion, he collapsed after receiving a powerful shock and was taken to South Hospital. Volunteers were unable to save the undergraduate after 48 hours, and he passed away on Saturday night.

Mr. Ishaq stated that they had promised to meet again in the city center after the war ended, replacing the sounds of bullets with melody, music, and happiness - sessions he cherished. Since the outbreak of combat three weeks ago, hundreds of civilians died and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes. Despite attempts to bring the two sides together, the army and the paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces (RSF) continue to battle for control of critical areas of the capital, Khartoum.

Seven million people are confined in their homes in Khartoum, unable to obtain food and other necessities. Martin Griffiths, the top UN humanitarian official, has arrived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, where envoys sent by the army and RSF are scheduled to meet, though it is unclear whether discussions have begun.