Survivor of deadly mushroom mystery in Australia leaves hospital

One of the people who survived the fatal mushroom poisoning that has swept over Australia has reportedly been released from the hospital, as reported by his family.

After eating a beef Wellington that had been prepared by Erin Patterson, Ian Wilkinson's condition deteriorated to the point that he was in critical care.

The authorities believe that the beef Wellington may have contained toxic death cap mushrooms, three people, including Mr. Wilkinson's wife, tragically lost their lives.

Ms. Patterson, who is not being prosecuted for the incident, has claimed that it was an accident in her statement. After nearly two months of treatment, Mr. Wilkinson reportedly discharged himself from the hospital on Friday, as reported by his family.

They said in a statement that at this time the entire Wilkinson family senses tremendous relief and gratitude.

It is unknown whether Mr. Wilkinson, a pastor at a Baptist church, has already communicated with law enforcement officials at the hospital or whether he can shed any additional insight on the investigation at this time.

On July 29, the meal that would later prove to be fatal was served at the home of Ms. Patterson, which is located in the Victorian town of Leongatha. Ms. Patterson extended an invitation to her former in-laws, Gail and Don Patterson, as well as Gail's sister Heather Wilkinson and her husband, Ian Wilkinson.

Ms. Patterson's estranged husband was unable to make it to the event at the last minute. After several hours had passed since the meal, each of the four visitors began to exhibit symptoms of what they at first thought was severe food poisoning.

Heather, 66, Gail, 70, and Don, 70, all passed away within days, while Ian, 68, was hospitalized in critical condition.

Ms. Patterson came under suspicion when it looked that she was in perfect condition despite the fact that four of her guests had become seriously ill while she was hosting them. On the other hand, she asserts that it was an accident.

Last month, the 48-year-old said, "I am devastated to believe that these mushrooms may have contributed to the illness of my loved ones." "I would like to reiterate that I had no reason to harm these people, whom I love,"

Ms. Patterson indicated that the mushrooms that were utilized in the creation of the entrée were a combination of button mushrooms that were obtained from a grocery store and dried mushrooms that were purchased from an Asian grocery store in Melbourne some months earlier.

Her children, who were not present at the picnic, ate part of the beef Wellington that was left over the following day. She explained that the mushrooms had been taken out of the dish due to the fact that they do not like them. 

Ms. Patterson mentioned that on July 31 she was admitted to the hospital. She stated that in order to protect her liver, she was given a saline drip as well as medication.

She mentioned that she had also stored the remaining lunch and given it to hospital toxicologists so that they might do an analysis.

In her statement, she also confessed to having lied to authorities about a food dehydrator seized by police from a local dump during the course of their investigation.